Berlin Baptist Church was organized in 1876 as part of Mt. Herman
Baptist Church. The Mt. Herman Church
building burned on December 28, 1925.
Mt. Herman began meeting in the old Berlin Schoolhouse, which was
located on the right side of what is now Highway 302, South of the Salley Road.
There was some controversy as to where a new church building would be built. Two places were suggested and voted on by the church. The first place suggested was the place between the railroad crossing and the field on the left of the road near Dead Man's Branch. The second place suggested was where the public road from Hollow Creek intersected the public road that leads to Wagener. The first place received 24 votes and the second place received 18 votes. Rev. K. D. Smith was called as pastor on the first Sunday of May, 1927. On the second Sunday in May, the pastor and deacons were chosen to submit the plans for a new church building. The pastor was to have the exclusive right to select the site for the building. The site chosen by the pastor was the second one that had been proposed. There was once again disagreement over this site. A portion of the membership decided to go back across the river and built Mt. Herman on its present site. The remaining members continued meeting in the schoolhouse.
Berlin School built a new building on the land where Calvary Baptist Church currently resides. The church began meeting in the new building and continued to meet there until 1935 when the first New Mt. Herman Baptist Church was built.
Seivern Baptist Church demolished their old wooden church building in order to build their present building. The old lumber from the wooden church building was acquired from them. Some of the men from New Mt. Herman moved the lumber on two-horse wagons from Seivern to the present site and the first church building was constructed.
In the years that followed there was some difficulty in distinguishing the New Mt.
Herman Baptist Church from the old Mt. Herman Baptist Church. To eliminate
this confusion, in 1964 the members of the New Mt. Herman Baptist Church decided to change the name to Berlin Baptist Church after the old township in which it resides. The church continues to be known by this name today.